Thursday, February 21, 2008

a first

sorry, no caps today, it hurts to stretch my hand that far. last night i had my first trip to the emergency room. I was cutting a pan of magic bars, and the edges were a little hard, so the (really) sharp knife I was using slipped up the side of the pan when I put a little extra pressure on it. unfortunately, i had my left hand holding the pan, and i stabbed myself pretty good in the bend between my pointer finger and my thumb. it bled, i fainted and poor rick ran all the way home from campus to come save me. he also sent caleb to check in on me, thanks for coming caleb, it was nice to have some company. then off to the er, and i ended up getting four stitches, which means (as my mom pointed out) that i am the first person in our family to get stitches. i cant extend my thumb or pointer finger too far, which makes doing things pretty dang hard. but, i'm alive, and I get to miss class today, just as i'm taking time getting used to doing things one handed. rick has been taking really good care of me, he is really great. the worst part about all of this is that i made the magic bars to take to a big dance lab for my social dance class. i'm bummed i didn't get to go. but i did look extra fancy for the er.

5 comments:

Julie said...

you should take a picture of your hand and put it up, for all the world to see!

Cindy said...

So sorry to hear about your hand! I hope it won't hurt for too long or too badly. Please take care of yourself and let Rick take care of you. One good note! You can't do the dishes or clean the bathroom, etc.

Zotz said...

Oh sweet Shelley, what a scary adventure. I agree with Julie you should put the picture up. Julie, hopefully you told Shelley all about the dance lab. Maybe you guys can have a private dance lab(without sharp knives). Julie and Rick can take turns dancing with Shelley.

Caleb and Holly, thanks for helping out. And Julie, next time your sisters tell you they are in the ER, don't think it's a joke:-)

Rick, major husband points to you for taking such great care of Shelley.

Anonymous said...

aaahhh! ie! Glad you're ok...ugh. Although I totally can't believe no one in your family's ever had stitches! How did you manage that?!! Wait..you had 5 girls, I have four boys...must be that. :P

Alexa said...

Oh no, Shelley! I'm sorry to hear about your hand (and missing your dance lab!), but I'm glad you're getting a chance to rest some. I hope it gets better soon -- I'm glad Rick's there to take care of you! Aren't those Allison boys great? ;)